Thursday, January 27, 2011

ee cummings

I recently started a book of quotes. I have a little notebook on my desk at work and when I have downtime I will fill it in with all kinds of quotes. Inspirational, funny, love, music, movie quotes, and poems. I remember taking American Literature in high school and I'm remember studying poems. I was always as fan of Robert Frost and thought Emily Dickinson was nutso. Since I started this little book I have discovered the wonderful works of ee cummings. Now I dont claim to be an intellectual as you can see by 98% of my other posts. I would never describe myself as deep (unless the opposite is shallow and then I would prefer deep).

Talking about the love post its inspired me to read some of cummings poems. I found these two I want to share in honor of my recent valentine's day theme.

i like my body when it is with your
body. It is so quite a new thing.
Muscles better and nerves more.
i like your body. i like what it does,
i like its hows. i like to feel the spine
of your body and its bones, and the trembling
-firm-smooth ness and which i will
again and again and again
kiss, i like kissing this and that of you,
i like, slowly stroking the, shocking fuzz
of your electric fur, and what-is-it comes
over parting flesh . . . . And eyes big love-crumbs,

and possibly i like the thrill

of under me you quite so new

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

You know what else i love about this man's style? He doesnt capitalize. Not sure if you have noticed but i too hate capitalization. Maybe ee cummings was lazy like me...or maybe i too am a literary genuis!!!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

The second poem is quoted at length in the book "In Her Shoes", it may be read at the wedding by Cameron Diaz in the movie?

Visit Coastal Belle's profile on Pinterest.