Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Day 28: a scar you have and its story

It is rare to get snow in South Carolina. It is even rarer to get a foot of it. In January of 2000 this phenomenon occurred. I was a junior in high school and this photo was taken the day of the big snow. Those were my 3 best friends: Katie, Lindsey, and Kelly. We spent the day playing in the snow with our best guy friends: Bo, Benjamin, Lex and Will. We built snow forts and had a snowball fight. Bo's mom made snow cream for all of us. I played so hard and had so much fun that day.

I woke up the next morning with a cramp in my side. Over the next few hours it got progressively worse. I called my mom as I was hunched over the toilet and said something just isnt right. She told me I played to hard and would get over it. I spent the next 2 hours vomiting and the pain got worse. She finally took me to the doctor. I was admitted to the hospital that night and after a day of tests and discovered I had an ovaric cyst that had grown too large and was cutting off the circulation to my ovary.

They went in laproscopically in an emergency surgery on a Thursday night. I woke up the next morning to find that I couldnt sit up and it hurt to talk, laugh, breath. They werent able to save my ovary and had to cut me in C Section form to get it out. So I have a 6" long scar at the base of my abdomen, too low to take a photo that I want to put on the internet. It all happened so fast that my friends didnt even know I was in the hospital.

I made it home a day later and couldnt sit up without assistance for a few days. It hurt so bad to laugh that I didnt even want anyone to come visit. The worst part about the whole thing (if you've had a C Section or this surgery you'll know what i mean) is that I had abs. I had this great flat 16 year old stomach that was cut open. I know have this permanent little pooch at the bottom that I'm very self conscious about. I talked to a plastic surgeon who said I will never lose the weight there. I would have to have liposuction periodically for the rest of my life. GRRR... oh well, thats my scar and my story.

No comments:

Visit Coastal Belle's profile on Pinterest.