Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Why I hate Thanksgiving

When I was 14 years old my grandmother went into a diabetic coma the night before Thanksgiving. When I was 16 years old my brother got married on Thanksgiving. At age 22 my other grandmother passed away the day after Thanksgiving and when I was 23 my Dad passed away shortly after the worst holiday ever. I tell people this story when they ask why I dont like Thanksgiving. We try to make the most of it. Last year we got together at my brothers house and cooked all of our family favorites. The year before we went to Palmetto Bluff in Bluffton, SC (here is the site you have to see this) where we ate amazing food, rented a house, and spent the day at the spa.


I'm DETERMINED to have a good holiday season this year. I have started planning what I will cook for Thanksgiving and I've started Christmas shopping. But as hard as I try I know that the innocence is gone. I want to be as happy now as I was in this picture with my Aunt and Uncle. I was just thrilled to have a new care bear.

On Friday my grandfather will go to Emory to have a consultation on an upcoming heart surgery. He just turned 83 and I am fearful about my history with the holidays. I will stay positive and have started posting a daily Christmas video on facebook to put me in the mood.

Just another photo to share, as happy as I was Christmas 1985 here is my happy nephew at Christmas last year. He was laughing under that storm trooper helmet I promise. Thats all it took was a light saber and a costume.





2 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I am so sorry this time of year is so difficult for you. You are not alone- the holidays are one of the most difficult things for many people. I used to hate T-giving bc of my childhood too. Then I stared having T-giving with friends (I didn't live close to family) and it all changed for me. I found a new joy in it that I never knew growing up. You'll get there. Saying a prayer for your grandpa!

USCEmily said...

Oh, CB- I am so sorry that Thanksgiving has been so unkind to you. I have a similar situation with Christmas. My grandfather went into a coma just a few days after Christmas when I was 11, and died less than a month later. That next December, my grandmother passed away suddenly of a cerebral hemorrhage just 3 days before Christmas. And ten years later, my grandfather passed away a week before Christmas of emphysema complicated by pneumonia. So I know how sad a holiday that is supposed to be so happy can be, and my heart goes out to you!

Keep your head up, and I hope everything with your grandfather goes well!

Visit Coastal Belle's profile on Pinterest.