Friday, September 11, 2009

For the Love of Dogs

When I was in college I went through a bad breakup at the end of my junior year. My parents had just moved to Savannah and I was a little depressed. On a whim a friend suggested we go look at puppies to cheer me up. We went to the Animal Shelter in my college town and I saw a cute hound dog that I wanted. I was told to come back the next day and she would be available.

The next morning I arrived with my friend Greg and my hound dog had already been adopted. I was told that 3 new puppies had arrived. There were 2 boys and a girl. They were white and teeny tiny. All we knew were that they were terrier mixes. The girl had wavy hair and one of the boys didnt have much of a personality. The other little boy was in a cage by himself. He had a little mohawk that stuck up on top of his little head and he nibbled my fingers. It was love at first sight. I left that day with a dog without a name. That is until he drank out of my Jack and coke later that night and became known as Jackson Daniel.



When we got home everyone was so excited and wanted to hold my new baby. He slept in my bed that night and has every night since. I lived with my 2 best friends that summer and Jackson went with us to parties every night. He was carried around in guy's cargo pockets so he didnt have to walk. We played fetch and tug of war and there was lots of cuddling. I quickly forgot about what's his face after I started chasing after this puppy and teaching him about the world.

He adapted to my lifestyle. Go to bed late and sleep in the next day. When I entered the real world a year later he was my family and he was the only one making the college to career transition with me. He was my comforting reminder of the good ole days. His hair came in and he turned into this cute little guy.



I lied to my parents about where he came from and I recently told my mom the truth. I told them he came from the neighbors and he was free. The truth is, he was the best $70 I ever spent. I dont know if its possible for a dog to be your soul mate but I sometimes think he just gets me better than anyone else. Now dont get me wrong, Jackson is not perfect. He was a handful 90% of the time. He is VERY smart and gets himself into some sticky situations. See below.



Every year we participate in the Mutt Strut for the Savannah Chatham Humane Society. It is the top fundraiser for the organization. It pays most of their operating budget for the year. We made a team called for the Love of Dogs. If you love your 4 legged friend as much as I do then go to https://www.firstgiving.com/forlove and donate to our cause. You can write it off on your taxes.

2 comments:

Kate said...

This is such a great post :) Dogs are amazing friends!

Kate said...

Oh he is so sweet and adorable!!!

Visit Coastal Belle's profile on Pinterest.